Wednesday, June 06, 2007

How Can I Help?

My client, Fred Schmitts, owner of Mobil Lube, did a huge favor and invited me to the Fresh Brewed Business produced by GreaterFindlay, Inc. I was impressed. They combined networking, dissemination of important community information and a little bit of education mixed in for glue.

And they stayed on their timeline.

Another client, Kendra Saldana, Smart Sites by Kendra, was asked to deliver the networking educational moment. She did a bang-up job. She first gave the "Webster's" definition of networking, reading from her notes. Then she looked up and said, "but really what we need to do is to find out what each of us needs." In other words, "how can I help you?"

Immediately after that on the agenda was the four-minute networking scramble. In the past, I've heard from my students that it is just people passing their business card as quickly as they can before they move on to the next victim. Kendra of course had asked us to use her question.

Interesting.

Everyone I asked that question, either had no idea or just said, "I could use some more business." (Or even funnier, one guy said, "I really don't need any more business, I've got all I want in Findlay."

Interesting.

Come on world. Get a little creative. Find an answer to that question before you attend your next networking event. If you don't know what you need, then no one else knows how to help you.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Interesting that you should write about this.

On Monday I met with Kraig Rasche of Sagient (a web design/development company) in Ann Arbor. When I asked him that question, he knew immediately what he needed (and it wasn't just "more business"). This is a guy who built his company from scratch in seven years to the point that it is competing successfully for multi-million dollar contracts.

Maybe we should all take a page from his book of success!