A couple days ago I had a conversation with a business person wanting to make connections in a specific market. I asked if she had joined the association of this industry segment. The answer was yes, but she had not yet become active.
My thought was, "Well, I guess you didn't put much thought into this membership."
In order to get anything from being a member, first you have to be active. Then you have to give to the group.
So if there was a plan, it might have looked sort of like this.
Goals of Joining (set before joining!)
- Join Association.
- Attend 10 out of 12 meetings annually.
- Note those meeting dates on my calendar.
- Meet with executive director to find out what role I can play.
- Assume the duties and responsibilities of that role.
- Make a list of members I want to meet one to one.
- Set a goal of how many member to meet with monthly.
- Invite prospective members to meetings as my guest.
What goals do you have in place for the associations you belong to?