Monday, March 12, 2007

Passion for Pedro

My beach dog!

He is still there at the wonderfully isolated San Josecito Beach.

In fact he looked so good that I almost thought he was a new younger dog.

I've named him Pedro, which gains a lot a of laughter back at the lodge, because the manger's name is Pedro. I don't think Costa Ricans give their animals human names.

I must admit that I'm totally smitten over Pedro. I think he's waited for me for six years now -- or at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

One year I didn't think he'd be there when we came back, because he had obviously been in a terrible fight and the whole side of his temple was a huge, swollen, open wound.

Each year I take dog treats for sure, and some years I must admit that I've taken both flea and mange treatment! Pedro has the softest mouth of any dog I've ever been around. If offered a treat or food from the picnic lunch, he takes it very gently from my fingers. (Our dogs that get fed everyday, grab treats like there's no tomorrow.)

Pedro has earned my trust. On the relationship scale, I would rate it at the highest level, profitability! The love goes back and forth equally.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pedro reminds me of my husband's Samson. A full-bred Heidelberg German Shepherd, Samson was Terry's first child -- a beloved pet -- and Terry's guard dog/room mate before I came into the picture.

I knew I gained his trust on the first day we were home alone in Terry 's house. I was getting ready for a garage sale. A few enthusiastic seniors came early to the sale. From my perspective, they were harmless. Samson thought differently. He saw them as intruders in his domain (backyard).

When they innocently came through the fence to peruse the sale, I literally had to hold him back. He was so intent on shooing them from the backyard that he actually sprawled out on the ground refusing to budge until, finally, I dragged him into the house.

I couldn't figure out for the life of me what the dog was so worried about! Terry told me, later, that it was a true sign of acceptance. Samson loved me enough to want to protect me from any stranger coming into our home.

What a dog! What a friend!

Anonymous said...

The next time I see you, I'll have to send you a picture of my dog ...
Kalar. She's the female look a like to Pedro!