Wednesday, June 03, 2009

I'm Sure You Don't Really Mean That!

About a week ago I presented to a group that wanted to learn some basics of networking. I shared that there would be three types of people they would meet at a networking event; prospects, those who could refer and others or social contacts. I said that the goal was to schedule an appointment with any of the first two types and to "move on" from the third.

After my talk, a lady came up and said that she had to take acception with what I said. She said that she was in the category of being able to refer. That is her job -- to help others find resources -- and that she didn't appreciate people coming up to her at networking events with that in mind.

H-m-m-m-m!

As she walked away, I thought to myself, "Why in the world does she bother?"

Have you run into anyone like that lately? What would your answer have been to her?

3 comments:

Louise Kahle said...

I don't know what I would have said, but, more importantly, how did you respond?

Debby said...

Needless to say, I was speechless. This person works for a government entity. I guess therein lies the problem. If I had said anything I don't think it would have mattered because she didn't understand how those very people she doesn't want to talk to could be very helpful resources for her clients.

Ron Hitson said...

WOW....is my only response.