Tuesday, June 23, 2009

"It would be impossible for me to help her."

Different people need different things.

At the end of most every conversation when I am networking, I mean to ask the question, "And how can I help you?"

Some people get that deer in the headlights look. It's probably because they've probably never thought about what they really wanted.

If you don't know what you want, I promise you that you won't get it.

Or mayb
e you'll get it but you won't realize it!

Or even worse, you get something you don't want!


In the last couple days, the answers I've gotten are as varied as the people I've chatted with.

One wanted me to explore a relationship with another entity for him.

One wanted me to help her to figure out what she really wants and NEEDS for her business.

One wanted me to help her to figure out if she should accept a board position.
One wanted me to help her to write a nomination.

One wanted me to introduce her to a helpful resource.

One wanted me to help her to more clearly see the future for her organization.

One wanted me to clarify an opportunity.

As you can see, none of the above needed a referral or prospect at the moment I talked with them. Sometimes we get brain-locked thinking that the only way we can help is to give direct business. And yes, bottom-line, that's what we all need, but there are plenty of steps in-between that can inch us closer that that new client.

What are all the different ways you have helped people?

Even more telling is what do you need this week?

1 comment:

Angie Weid said...

Well, I want to thank you for helping me come up with presentation ideas. I submitted program proposals for two national conferences next year!!

One called me back within 15min of submitted to tell me how "awesome" the presentation looked.

Find out next month if they are accepted. I'll keep you posted!