Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Person to Person

I make personal introductions...at least most of the time.

Why do I use my time this way?

When I'm part of the process, I get benefits, too!

Scheduling time for three busy people to get together can be a challenge, but I feel the reward of the respect I get from the other two in the equation. Additionally, when I'm in the meeting, at first I do the talking to introduce (and describe why I thought the two should meet), but then they take over. It is always amazing how much more I learn about these two people, both of whom I think I know pretty well. It usually turns out, that there is a whole side of them that I don't know.

Just yesterday, I introduced my friend Sara North to Andrew Sprenger, a personal trainer. She asked great questions of Andrew that I had never thought to ask him before, including if he is insured. What I learned will help me to better refer him in the future.

Networking is all about connecting. While the typical Business After Hours scenario comes to mind when I hear the N word, it is not always that way. After all, it is about two people developing a relationship or taking a current one to a higher level. No matter what the scene, I want to be part of the introduction for a selfish reason -- it's helps to take my relationship with both people to a much higher level. Shush, don't tell anyone.

2 comments:

H. Lewis Smith said...

African Americans practice of greeting each other with the n-word is raining confusion upon the American public and in some circles raises the question of it being a double standard. The bottom line is no one should be using the n-word regardless of the color of their skin. Please go to:

http://www.burythatsucka.com

Sandy of Sandy's Stuff for Women said...

I heard of a perfect example of this just last week. At a networking event, someone named a specific person they wanted to be personally introduced to. Starting later that day, another member of the group began asking every person they came in contact with if they knew that person.

Lo and behold, it wasn't long before someone said ,"Yes," and a personal introduction was planned.

I don't know if this will lead to business being done, but it speaks not only to the power of personal introduction, but also to the power of asking for specifically what you want.