Thursday, November 16, 2006

Pop, Hop, Never Stop

The title of this post is my attempt at using Sam Horn's rhyming technique to develop better and more creative ways to market your business. Her book, POP, How to Stand Out in a Crowd, does just that. My friend, Scott Ginsberg, The Name Tag Guy, recommended the book when he was in Toledo for the Women's Entrepreneurial Network conference.

Now, I gotta tell you, I am not the most creative cracker in the box. If I were to describe myself along those lines, I guess I called myself a saltine. Square and maybe a little salty. But following Sam's instructions and methods, I think I could actually come up with some good stuff about my business. My new business card and tag line developed by Terry Maxx, Maxx Grafx, says, "Evolving a community of profitable referral partners." So I've been playing with the word evolve to see all the words that could rhyme with it.

Let me give you a word of warning. You do need to follow Sam's instructions to do the exercises in Chapter 2 before continuing to read the book. Otherwise you will find yourself very frustrated at about 2/3's of the way through because you are unable to really do the exercises. Ask me how I know!

3 comments:

hellomynameisscott said...

Best business card ever!

Anonymous said...

Okay, Deb. Another book you've suggested that I HAVE to read. I was definitely intriqued by the exercise during our trainers' meeting on Monday!

And, O' BTW, the very fact that you described your level of creativity as that of a square, salty cracker just goes to show that your inner creative is bursting to come out, indeed!!! ;)

And...Thank you Nametag Guy. I am partial to my husband's creativity as well. ;)

Michelle R. Donovan said...

I have been called "solid chocolate" from my friends back in Philly. Basically, to them that meant, there are no surprises ... what you see is what you get.

I LOVE the book POP! It literally ignited the creative side of my brain. It helped me to be able to clearly defined what it meant to be a "Certified" Networker to a financial advisor and he got it the first time! I'm stoked and ready to see what else I can create for my business.

Thanks.
www.ptsnetworking.blogspot.com