Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Time Robber

My time is the most valuable asset I have -- or at least that's what it feels like.

Today, I had a luncheon appointment. Or I thought I did.

When I make any appointments these days, I always say, "May I have the number where I might reach you in case something happens that I'm not able to keep our appointment?" After I get that number, I enter it right beside the name of the person. I also offer my cell phone number, saying, "Here is my number in the event that your schedule changes so you can let me know."

You know the rest. I left my office at 8:00 this morning and had back to back appointments all morning. Drove across town to the restaurant. No person after five minutes. Called to make sure I was at the right place. Receptionist asked who was calling. I gave my name. She said, "Oh, I am so glad you called, _____ can't make lunch today. What would work for her is next Monday or Tuesday."

I'm not available.

When I got back to my office later today, my lunch appointment had left a message on my office phone at 9 AM this morning. Now, I don't have a secretary. I have a cell phone! That's why I include that number in my office voice mail and also give it out freely.

I know, I know, at least they tried. Yeah, right.

Networking etiquette has many dos and don'ts. Being considerate of my time is a do.

What is a do for you?

2 comments:

Sandy of Sandy's Stuff for Women said...

Showing some interest in my business (or me) is a do for me. It's amazing how you can spend an hour with someone who never seems to understand that a one-to-one is for both people to get to know each other better.

Anonymous said...

A "do" for me is for someone to actually listen and focus on me.
A "don't" for me is ... don't ever sell to me!