Sunday, August 20, 2006

Social Network Connection

About a week ago, I was downloading email and I noticed a message from Classmates.com. Normally I would just delete the message, but it said something about my 40th class reunion. This caught my eye because our class had such a reunion this summer, but I was not able to attend. The thought I had was that perhaps there were pictures. Somehow whatever I clicked connected me to the Classmates.com message board. There was nothing really new about my class reunion but to my surprise, there was a message posted last January for a camp reunion. I emailed the contact listed and then she sent me to the official website for Tally Ho Music Camp at MyFamily.com.

I attended Tally Ho Music Camp south of Rochester, NY, in the summers of my 7th, 8th and 9th grades. That is a long time ago! I have not talked with most of those former campers since 1963, the last time I attended camp. But what fun! Of course it is great seeing all the names of people, and even better seeing the pictures, both vintage and new. It is amazing to me how old everyone else is now! Again, I missed the reunion, but it looks like they had so much fun that they are going to do it again, and I want to be there. In this old picture, I am 6th from the left in the front row.

Without the social networks, such as Classmates.com and MyFamily.com that have spread throughtout the Internet, groups such as Tally Ho Campers could never find each other. Isn't it amazing that people can now re-connect for fun and many times for serious stuff.

What reunion would you like to find out about?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your reunion post makes me think about my mom. She graduated from high school in 1947 (Woodward; Toledo). To this day, her classmates meet monthly to "keep up," and they are in the midst of planning their 60th class reunion.

Mom holds a summer picnic each year for these friends as well, where we kids play hostess and waitress for the afternoon. What a hoot!