Sunday, March 16, 2008

What Would You Do?

My good friend, Mary Simmons, Modern Woodmen of America, has a brother who is ill. He has had prostate cancer for seven years. At this point he is pursuing alternative treatment methods having also gone the traditional route. The sticking point is that the treatment center requires $20,000 up front before they will accept George as a patient. Unfortunately for George, he and his wife, Gina, don't have that kind of money available.

Here's where it gets interesting. Gina, while brushing her teeth one day, (for me, it's sitting at red lights!) thought, "What would happen if I sold something for just $1, but sold it to 20,000 people. Most of us would be thinking from the opposite point of view, "How can I have the biggest fundraiser to gain $20K all in one swoop?" But Gina, didn't think she had anything to sell. Then she realized she had recipes. She has gathered a collection of her recipes, entitled, "Friends of George." And they're available online.

Now, I gotta' tell you that if I didn't know Mary, I'd probably be dismissing this as a hoax. But the trusting relationship I have with Mary gives me the assurance that she wouldn't be connected with anything less than top drawer. It's all about the V-C-P model we teach in the Certified Networker course. C stands for credibility.

If you had to raise $20 grand for a loved one, what would you do?

No comments: