Monday, March 03, 2008

Can You Belive?

In the Certified Networker course we use three letters, V-C-P, to have a way to describe the level of relationship. V is visibility, C is credibility and P is profitability.

With that being said, you also need to know that Steve and I live out in the country on 13 acres of what we like to call prairie, but what others would call a big farm field! The hawks are fun to watch out here as they soar over the field looking for a little "lite" lunch. Sometimes one will sit right outside our bathroom window, a foot or two away from the bird feeder, waiting for a little fast food!

Last night the two Springers (that is a picture of Owen looking particularly smart.) were out being dumb as usual. We could see them across the pond circling and pouncing on something. Steve went out to investigate and no, it was not a snake, nor was it a cat from the barns across the road.

No, it was a hawk. And it had an injured leg or maybe a wing, or maybe both. Steve rescued it and brought it in. It is pretty interesting up close. He did call Nature's Nursery, the wildlife rescue organization, but as far as I know they have not yet called back. So the hawk has taken up residence in the barn.

Back to V-C-P. With all the hawks, I think they are magnificent, but my relationship has always been one of very early visibility. They would fly away immediately when I came close. To keep this wonderful (I know, I know, they are not nice birds, but they are still beautiful.) bird, wild; we will try not to imprint on it. But wow, I do love being at just a little higher level of visibility so that I can see it up closer than ever before.

With most humans I want my relationships to develop to high credibility and hopefully, profitability with some. But I am happy with keeping this connection at a low level relationship, because that's what's best.

So what interesting happened on your Sunday afternoon?

5 comments:

Louise Kahle said...

Not much. I spent all weekend at home feeling less than my usual perky self.
I love the hawk story. Has he/she earned credibility yet?

Anonymous said...

Nothing exciting happened here on Sunday.
However your post did remind me to call my old college roommate who used to volunteer at the Wild Bird Clinic when she was going through Vet. School.

Anonymous said...

I took down the rest of the wallpaper in my master bath on Sunday. (Been scraping away at it for the last three weekends.) After my sister referred her painter guy, Joe, to me I became motivated to get it all done. I even got thrifty with a can of "brushed nickel" spray paint and gave new life to my bathroom fixtures.

In just two short weeks, Joe will return to prepare the walls with knock-down texture and "Gobi Desert" paint. No more wallpaper! I can't wait!!! I guess you could say the worn-out wallpaper was at a high V and losing C fast! ;)

Angie Weid said...

My weekend was AWESOME!! Visit to a dive shop to pick out diving stuff (yeah! new adventure for Adventurous Angie), driving range to hit some golf balls with a new proper grip (ugh, bit frustrating adventure), then a hike in new-to-me Ypsilanti, MI park (yeah! back to fun adventure)

I think this weekend is just what I needed. Your hawk story is pretty cool.

Debby said...

Chapter two of the hawk story. Steve did get a return call from Nature's Nursery. He took the bird to them that day. They said it was the skinniest hawk they had ever seen, and since it was so skinny they couldn't even say what kind it was. They figured it had been ill for awhile and had not eaten in awhile either. They were going to get it hydrated to see if they could save it. We can call about it, but I almost don't want to.