Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Captured

The other day I was on a three-way conference call where I was introducing two people to each other. At a point late in the call, it seemed as if I wasn't needed anymore. I had done my job of introducing and explaining why the two needed to meet. They were beginning to determine the next steps. I didn't need to listen to them schedule a future phone appointment.

But one person stated clearly, "No, if you could stay that would be better."

Now, I have to admit that I was a little miffed. After all my time is precious.

In thinking about it later, I realized that she was right. I needed to be sure things had ended appropriately before I left the scene. If something had gone amiss, I could have reinforced the reason I brought the two together. I realized that the third party (ME) was similar to an insurance policy. I was there in case I was needed. Thankfully, I was not.

That's the reason why personal introductions are so powerful. They have the insurance behind them.

What's your take on this?

No comments: