Thursday, December 28, 2006

Nixon and Relationships

A tidbit of history that I did not know came to light with the death of former US President, Gerald Ford. Evidently when then President Nixon faced the replacement of Vice President Spiro Agnew, he had four finalist to choose from: John Connally, Nelson Rockefeller, Ronald Reagan and Gerald Ford. Nixon choose Ford because he said, "Personal factors enter into such a decision," Mr. Nixon recalled for a Ford biographer in 1991. "I knew all of the final four personally and had great respect for each one of them, but I had known Jerry Ford longer and better than any of the rest."

Wow! My memories of Richard Nixon are of a cold, unfriendly man. I would not tie the word relationship to him at all, but evidently there was a human in side that skin, one who valued people and friendship.

Is there a person you've changed your mind about in regard to how open and friendly they really are?

1 comment:

Sandy of Sandy's Stuff for Women said...

I change my mind about people regularly (I was going to say "daily" but I'm not that bad).

I just not a quick judge of character. There have been people that I think are great when I first meet them and they turn out to be jerks.

And there are people I think are really cool - until I get to know them better. If my husband is meeting the person for the first time also, I respect his first impression - he's almost never wrong.