Friday, January 02, 2015

First Book of the Year

It's already time for another fun-to-read book report from CN Grad, Don Kardux, Business Navigators.  This one is really fun, so don't miss it!And here it is:


Over two years ago my dear friend, the lovely Debby Peters, said to me, “Don, you read a lot of books and you always share what you think of them with a few of us. Would you be willing to share with the entire Connext Nation Community?”
 I said, “Connect to a larger audience? That’s not like me.”
 

This is the twenty-fourth book I am reviewing for CN and next month will start my third year.


Debby thanks for the opportunity! (You are so very welcome, Don!)


I reviewed my reviews and found a most important book missing.


You see, as I graduated from teaching English and Drama and entered into the world of sales (Territory Manager for Lennox Industries 1980 to 1990) I decided I better learn about business and goals and managing myself.


Ken Blanchard and Spencer Johnson’s runaway best seller came out in 1982. I read it and applied the principles first to myself and later to my clients.


It’s a short book.


In one hundred and six pages three core behaviors can change people and ultimately organizations.


At the time the book came out there was a major division in the approach used to manage business.

“Tough"managers who like these words: autocratic, bottom line, hard-nosed, realistic, profit minded.

“Nice” managers who like these words: democratic, supportive, considerate, and humanistic.


Blanchard likes to write in short story form and so begins the book this way.

“Once there was a bright young man who was looking for an effective manager.

            He wanted to work for one. He wanted to become one.      

            His search had taken him over many years to the far corners of the 
            world.”



The ‘bright young man’ finds the ‘One Minute Manager’ and discovers that he is not just a blend of “Tough and Nice” but has significant differences with each.



On the nineteenth page of the book is the core statement and the rest of the book tells us how it can be achieved.

People Who Feel

Good About

Themselves



Produce

Good Results



There are only three tools that are used but, it is essential that you read and understand them.


1.      One Minute Goals

2.      One Minute Praising

3.      One Minute Reprimands


The concepts in this book began what has become the philosophy of our company, Business Navigators.


Of course, I think you should read ( and for many of use) re-read, The One Minute Manager.

No comments: