Saturday, December 19, 2009

Hair Color

A couple weeks ago, I attended a Youth Leadership Toledo lunch. At the lunch the young gentleman that I sat next to, Alberto Serrano, a sophomore at Maumee, Ohio high school, made my day when he exclaimed about my hair. Now I have to tell you that I never want to be ordinary with my hair and it has been wilder in the past. Right now it still gets comments like Alberto's but for me its tame.

Alberto has beautiful, dark, shiny black hair. He told me that he wants to dye his bangs red but that he was discouraged from doing so, because it just wouldn't be right. This didn't come from his mom, by the way.

Alberto sent me a thank you note for coming to the lunch with the students and in the note he said that my image had given him the feeling that he should express himself sometime in the future, too. Maybe now is not the right time, but soon.

When I was in high school, boys were starting to imitate the Beatles' hairstyles. One coach refused to allow students with long hair (and if you look back those styles were mild) to try out for his team. I guess those were the times.

I hope that Alberto gets to color his hair soon. After all, what is important here. Hair or a well-adjusted, community-minded young man.

2 comments:

Angie Weid said...

My 9 year old son has had a mohawk for 3 years now. He has been offered money by others to cut it off, yet he refuses. At first it was definitely different, though at this point I cannot imagine him without it. School has had no problem with his style.

I hope Alberto gets his red bangs soon.

Louise Kahle said...

If wearing your hair or clothing a certain way or a certain color makes you feel confident and sassy, by all means, do it! In my business, rather than telling a client how she SHOULD look, I find out how she would LIKE to look and go from there.