Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Above and Beyond with Master Mind

Friday last week, was the normal monthly Master Mind meeting. Usually when I meet with this great group of women, I have a business challenge I want to discuss, but this time was different. You see, my cats had decided to use several upholstered chairs at my house for a litter box, and I was pretty distraught because the odor in the house, even though the chairs had been removed was pretty awful. I just needed to vent (in more ways than one!).

The night before I had spent time washing all the baseboards and up the walls with a bleach solution. I had also taken all the slip covers off the furniture and washed them, even if they had not been a target of the cats. The crew that came to clean and deodorize the chairs, told me that the odor attaches to dust particles and that is why it is so difficult to get rid of. MASTER MIND TO THE RESCUE.

One member, Merri Bame, reminded me that I had purchased an enzyme spray from another BNI member, to help with the stinky dog odor in our home. (It sure does seem to be a theme here.) Until she reminded me, I had totally forgotten about this stuff. Another member, Cathy Skiver, offered to lend me her room purifier unit. Wow! We had guests coming for the weekend on Saturday morning, so I spent Friday night spraying the enzyme stuff, and cleaning as much dust as I could. I borrowed the electronic air cleaner early Saturday morning. The house smells a lot better; I only catch a whiff of a bad odor ever so often. I'll just have to keep working on that dust thing!

What's the worst catastrophe you've had to deal with before guests have arrived at your house?

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Deb,
The worst thing that has happened to me was....as my guests were arriving I was in the kitchen taking a ham out of the oven. I cut a small piece so that I could test it. I put it in my mouth and started chewing, I went to swallow and the piece of ham got lodged in my throat. No matter what I did I could not get it to go down it stayed lodged - I calmly walked up stairs to my bathroom and tried and tried to swallow and or cough it up - no such luck. I started to get scared and I was definetly nervous. I walked back down stairs to get my husband and pulled him upstairs. He did not know what to do either, so I put my finger in my throat and gagged myself so bad it came out....I was relieved and as I looked in the mirror to clean up my eyes were beet red and watery as if I had been crying for hours, I was stuck telling everyone what happened.