Friday, September 19, 2008

Keeping My Commitment

Busy, busy week, so no posting.

I'd like to share a trick with you.

Well, it's really not a trick.

It's more of a strategy.

Yesterday my schedule said that I was supposed to go to Defiance (Oh) for a Chamber networking event starting at 4:30 PM.

Now I had gotten up at 5:30 AM and had a full day. I just knew that by the end of the day, I would find a reason not to go.

But to better develop our classes out west of Toledo, I need to be out there.

What to do?

Here's the trick. I invited one of my BNI members to take the 50 minute trip out there with me. It was a win for both of us. I got to know Cheryl Minifie even better than I did before and also was able to introduce her to a couple people including the director of the chamber and a Realtor friend of mine, Beth Sigg. Since Cheryl sells insurance for Allstate, that was a good connection.

Since I am most uncomfortable at these types of events, pretending that I had a job (intro'ing Cheryl to people) helped me to calm the nerves.

I can honestly say that if I had not had my commitment with Cheryl that I would not have gone, using a very "valid" excuse of being too tired.

Thanks, Cheryl, for keeping me on purpose.

1 comment:

karen kimec said...

Debby, what a good idea! I have done that. It gets to the end of the day and I'm exhausted and what sounded like a great idea when I was energetic and fresh isn't such a good idea anymore.
Thanks also for admitting that events like the one with the chamber are scary for you. I guess we all feel like we're the only ones!