Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Sorry, It Is PowerPoint Time Again


Sorry, but I just have to get it out of my system.

At the chamber event that I wrote about here, both breakout sessions I went to had the speakers using PowerPoint.

At the first, the speaker SAT in front of his laptop and when it was time for him to speak he would twist his body around to somewhat face the audience. He stayed seated. On a scale of 1 - 10, the presentation material was a 4, and the presentation style was a 4. The only reason I give it such a "high" score is that there was a second presenter who did stand and face the audience for her part.

At the second, two men who are professionals within the community, gave the most boring presentation I have experienced in the last couple years. The slides were all bullet points of text which they read to us as they faced the screen with their backs to us. One a scale of 1 - 10, this presentation didn't even make it to a 1 in either category.

Need I say more?

Yes, I have to.

Lose PowerPoint. Talk with your audience. If you must use PowerPoint to feel like you are giving a REAL presentation, then use the software to show illustrations and images of what you are saying. It should be a backdrop, not a fence.

There got that off my chest.

1 comment:

Brian Panichelle said...

Debby,

I whole heartedly agree with your assessment of Power Point use. If used at all it is an aid, not the presentation.