Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Waiting and Waiting and Waiting

Recently I was introduced to a new person at a networking event. To make it easier I will call this person Jon. I was interested in what Jon does, so I asked if he would like to meet for coffee so I could find out more. He agreed and the appointment was set.

The day arrived and I had scheduled an appointment before and one afterJon. I'm sure you know where I'm going with this -- he stood me up. And of course, I had not yet had time to enter the information from his card into my system, so there I was with no way to call him. I just had to cool my heels.

A couple days later - 4 to be exact - as I was reviewing my week, I realized that I had not heard from Jon. Now, I was worried that I was the one who made the mistake and had kept Jon waiting for me someplace else or some day else. Falling on my sword, I emailed an apology to Jon.

What came back was a little puzzling. No, it was not my fault. His schedule had gotten changed and he was not able to keep the appointment.

And he waited almost a week to tell me that?????

I'm sure he is a very nice person, but Jon has dug a very deep hole for himself. His credibility with me is zero -- and that is being nice.

What's your thought on this. Am I being too harsh?

2 comments:

Natasha said...

A couple of weeks back, I was ranting about how a person kept me waiting half an hour and when she finally made it didn't even have the courtesy to apologise.
This beats that hollow! How difficult to just call and cancel, or let you know he had to cancel after the deed.
I wouldn't have anything further to do with him, if I had my way.

Unknown said...

That is not a good start...to not even call you or send an email and apologize for wasting your time. I would say the person's impression of networking is very low as well and that you'd be wasting your time giving them a second chance...however, if they were a bit more apologetic rather than so casual I'd give them a second chance as I know things come up. Not in this case though.