Monday, October 20, 2008

Ahead of the Curve

Today, I'm having an office day.

Had to complete my newsletter on others' deadlines -- mine was last Friday at 5 PM, but some did not agree with the deadline!

So anyway, I'm sittin' here in the office -- or the cave!

Glanced over at my shelves to the left and noticed the framed photo of my paternal grandmother, Hannie Dickinson. It's a sepia-toned photo of her holding my (baby) son, Andy, who is now 39 years old.

Anyway you get the picture.

My grandmother knew how to network. She connected with people around the word before computers, by writing letters to people every Sunday. Some she had met in person, but some were people she had read about.

My grandmother was a farm wife. Her beautiful New England home burned to the ground one cold winter day. But she kept on. She collected information, like any good networker would, to make sound financial investments with her hard-earned money. This was during the late '40's and early '50's when women baked bread and did not balance the checkbook. One financial goal was to build a proper parlor onto the revamped farm shed that became her home after the fire.

Grandma didn't call it networking. That's our word for it today. But she connected like no tomorrow.

Don't you wonder what your grand kids will say about you? Will they admire you because you were ahead of the curve?

2 comments:

Sandy of Sandy's Stuff for Women said...

My 62nd birthday was earlier this month. My gift from my oldest son and his wife and 3-year-old daughter is priceless. It's a book titled "The Grandmother Book - A Book about You for your Grandchild."

It's an interactive book that requires me to fill in many blanks - everything about me and my life! It is so cool. I have tried to work on it in small increments, but I get too emotional.

What a wonderful way for me to help my granddaughter remember me when I'm long gone.

Debby said...

Sandy, I think I gave the same book to my granddaughter, Kaitlyn, last year for Christmas. It did take awhile to fill in, but I am so glad I did it as I wish my grandmother had left something like that for me.